Friday, May 21, 2010

Getting back to basics

Many people ask me where do you get all those wonderful fabrics for your bags/clothes etc. The answer is quite simple. I forage all over town in second hand stores, Salvation army and St Vincent de Paul outlets are absolute faves. I also get a few donations. It's amazing how many people appreciate that I care enough to take their outcast garments and old handbags to use in my creations.

Some finds are incredible like the three leather coats I picked up for a song. They were not suitable for sale due to damage/wear, but to me they were like hitting the jackpot. I deconstructed them, no easy task I might add, sorted out the pieces (and there were lots of them) to see what could be salvaged. I'm thrilled to be able to use almost all of the leather and all the buttons will come in handy. If you have a look at the dark chocolate suede sling bag, you'll see what I'm talking about.

It's a huge amount of work to deconstruct almost anything but the rewards can be massive. Give it a try. If the bug hits you, you'll be hooked for life. And life's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment