Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's your take?

I had an interesting day yesterday at a local market selling my goodies. For the most part it was a lovely day, lots of nice people, some admirers and lookers...you get the picture.

I was feeling quite happy until I decided to get an opinion from another trader, a woman who had been in the clothing industry for many years. I guess she considers herself successful.

She was very polite, seemed interested in what I had to say, or so I thought until one little remark stopped me in my tracks. She said " Do not over estimate people's commitment to the environment". She was referring to my merchandise, all constructed using reclaimed, upcycled, recycled and re-used materials.

Even though this woman didn't actually say it, there was no doubt what she meant by it. Why are you bothering to do this stuff? And by the way, she did actually say that people only want this stuff because they're trying to make ends meet.

Now I'm a tolerant person and I value people's opinions, but let me ask you, how would you react to this statement? I was taken aback, I mean why would anyone say such a thing unless they felt superior?

After some reflection I have come to the conclusion that some people are just plain snobs. That and they must feel threatened by a little competition. I feel sorry for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment